Notebooks

Collective Cognition

01 Sep 2013 10:28

Rather than repeating myself about what I mean by "collective cognition", I refer you to my review of Ed Hutchins's Cognition in the Wild, and the introduction to the 2002 SFI Workshop on Collective Cognition I co-organized (that introduction is primarily based on an essay I wrote as a distraction from finishing my dissertation). I stole the phrase from Philip Agre, who told me he doesn't remember whence he got it. (This is fitting.)

The workshop was my first experience of helping to organizing a scientific meeting, and quite enlightening. The focus shifted quite a bit from what I originally had in mind, but I still think the papers presented were good; many of them are available via the link for the workshop above.

Prediction markets, which I think are horribly over-rated, probably deserve a notebook of their own.

See also: Computational Models of Linguistic Evolution; Duality between Knowledge Centralization and Market Completeness; Emergent Properties; Ensemble Methods in Machine Learning; Evolving Local Rules to Perform Global Computations; Flocking and Swarms; Institutions; Sociology of Science

Notebooks:     Hosted, but not endorsed, by the Center for the Study of Complex Systems